The Assistant Food and Beverage Manager (AFBM) is responsible for the operations of Fairmont’s food and beverage operations, in the absence of the Food and Beverage Director and in compliance with Fairmont’s policies. Areas of responsibility include the Café, Dining Room. Provide oversight and assistance to Banquets and the Lounge and kitchen as necessary. Primary functions include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise the operations of the Dining Room and Café to ensure excellent guest service.
- Coordinate with Kitchen staff and supervisors to ensure timely meal preparation and proper presentation.
- Monitor Dining Room and Café flow during meal periods to ensure timely service, short wait times and that individual tables are not overlooked or neglected by food service staff.
- Monitor condition of the Café and Dining Room and take action to ensure outstanding cleanliness.
- Supervises all stations to ensure all cleaning lists and stocking lists are completed.
- Engage customers and make eye contact when appropriate.
- Respond to customer complaints and concerns in an appropriate manner.
- Respond as necessary to issues that arise in the lounge and banquet areas and kitchen.
Supervision and Staff Training
- Design and implement food service training to ensure appropriate, timely and outstanding food service.
- Supervise food service staff, to ensure compliance with training, food service guidelines.
- Provide feedback and accountability to individual service staff members.
- Supervise food service staff to ensure that the proper sequence of service standards are being employed.
- Monitor food service staff to ensure productivity, eliminate downtime and keep staff from congregating.
- Monitor food service staff and ensure staff compliance with Fairmont uniform policy, proper attire, name tags, cellphone policy, attendance policy and compliance with appearance, piercing and tattoo policies.
- Implement action plans to coach foodservice staff that may be falling behind.
- Treat staff with courtesy, respect and empathy and display good listening skills.
- Inform F&B Director of poor performing staff members.
- Lead by Example.
- Display team building skills and always handle all assignments with positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Work effectively and efficiently with other department supervisors and consistently demonstrate the ability to communicate and solve department problems.
- Keep Food and Beverage Director informed of all relevant information and offer suggestions for service and/or quality improvements.
- Assist in other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Food and Beverage Director.
The Assistant Food and Beverage Manager supervises a staff of up to 70 staff members in the Dining Room, Café, Lounge and Banquet area. The (AFBM) works closely with Fairmont’s General Manager, Executive Chef, Kitchen supervisors and Catering Manager. The AFBM is supervised by, and reports to, Fairmont’s Food and Beverage Director.
A successful candidate for the Assistant Food and Beverage Service Manager shall have extensive experience in a fine dining or family restaurant, a strong understanding of food service logistics, experience with point of sale systems, strong supervision skills and outstanding customer service skills.